All referrals to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) are received by a triage nurse. An interprofessional team of intake and specialized clinicians work collaboratively with medical staff to provide prompt feedback on all referrals that include disposition, supported system navigation and recommended next steps. Patients are referred to the appropriate program as per individual criteria.
Each program or service will have its own criteria for referral source and eligibility.
Toll free: 1.877.767.9642
For information pertaining to admission to the Forensic Program and for court related inquiries, please contact:
905.668.5881 ext. 6580 (local)
800.341.6323 ext. 6580 (toll free)
The Referral Form
Download the Centralized System Referral Form (PDF)
Methods for making a referral
Please complete the first page and all sections relevant to the service requested. Depending on the service requested, if you are making a referral for yourself or a loved one you may need a family doctor to fill and return the form.
Print and complete the referral form and return by fax to 905.430.4000.
Contact a Central Intake Clinician located in Building 1, Level 2 at Ontario Shores, 700 Gordon Street, Whitby, ON.
Call 1.877.767.9642, and a Central Intake Clinician will complete the referral with a referring source on the phone.
Print and complete the referral form and return by mail to:
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
700 Gordon Street
Whitby, ON L1N 5S9
* To request a referral form be faxed or mailed to you call 1.877.767.9642.
* The last two pages of the referral form contain service descriptions and additional information required to proceed with the referral process based on service requested.
- Referral received.
- Referral triaged for completeness and appropriate clinician assigned for processing based on service requested.
- Screening may involve clarification of information, requests for additional information and, in some cases, a face to face assessment.
- Referrals can be accepted for consultation, outpatient service or inpatient care. Models for shared care are currently in development.
- Outcomes for a referral will be communicated at the earliest possible juncture.
- In the event a referral is determined best served by an alternate care provider, this information and assistance with system navigation will be offered.