Help Support our Therapeutic Garden!
In the Fall of 2021 the Beez Kneez Therapeutic Sustainability Garden was installed at Ontario Shores! The eco-friendly garden features rain barrels, composters, wheelchair-accessible raised-bed planters, bird feeders, wind chimes and a honey-producing bee hive maintained by Alvéole.
Patients at Ontario Shores contributed to the garden design including naming it "Beez Kneez" and painting the new sign. Together with Recreation Therapists patients planted peas, carrots, beets, lettuces and kale, and used the garden community bulletin board to share information and communicate garden tasks.
A Multi-sensory, Therapeutic Space
The vision is for the space to become a large working garden where patients and staff work together to share a common purpose in a natural therapeutic space where everyone can learn about horticulture and sustainability. We are looking forward to a busy spring planting season.
Two Ontario Shores Recreation Therapists, who have completed courses in Horticulture, will be using horticulture as a therapeutic tool to implement several brand new patient programs within the space of the garden to:
- Establish meaningful therapeutic goals related to horticulture
- Develop specific life, social and community integration skills, and
- Incorporate the seven dimensions of wellness (physical, spiritual, cognitive, emotional, social, creative and environmental)
Why We Need Your Support
While we have the approved space and several new wheelchair-accessible planters, the garden is not complete. We are in need of soil to fill the new planters and plant materials to supplement those that gardeners are starting from seed. Donations may also support garden-related crafts and other therapeutic horticultural activities. Please support the garden through:
- Monetary Gifts
- Plants (young vegetable plants, bee-friendly perennials and native species)
- Garden Centre store credit or gifts cards - to support hands-on education/experiences in selecting plants and garden materials through community outings to local nurseries
To donate gifts-in-kind soil, plant materials or gift cards, please contact Maureen Patterson e: @email / t: 905-430-4055 ext. 6520