Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is pleased to be able to support medical students in their training and has Affiliation Agreements with the following universities:
- University of Toronto (Peters-Boyd Academy, Physician Assistant Program)
- Medical University of the Americas;
- University of Medicine and Health Science
- McMaster University (Physician Assistant Program – only)
- Washington University of Health and Science / Columbus Central University School of Medicine.
- Saba University
If you are a medical student from a university not listed above, please connect with the University of Toronto’s Visiting Elective Office.
Please see below for information about the rotations we offer for medical students.
Core Rotation: Psychiatry
A core psychiatry rotation is six weeks in length. You will experience various aspects of mental health based on your interests, education objectives and preceptor availability. Preceptors are psychiatrists with Royal College Fellowship. Students may work closely with final year psychiatry residents and other members of the interdisciplinary team often on a 1:1 basis. The psychiatry programs that you may be involved in as part of your core rotation, include but are not limited to: Adolescents, Forensics, Geriatrics, and Adult General Psychiatry.
Elective Rotation: Primary Care
A primary care elective rotation is four weeks in length. With General Practitioners as preceptors, medical students will experience medicine from Adolescent to Geriatric care in a tertiary mental health setting to meet the learning objectives for Primary Care.
Preceptors are General/Family Medicine Physicians and the student may work closely with Nurse Practitioners and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
Elective Rotation: Psychiatry
Clinical Electives may be available in our various Programs and Services. Availability is limited by preceptor acceptance. Please note that electives may vary in length, with most being 4 weeks in length.
Please note medical student placement rotations are arranged through your clinical placement coordinators at your university. If you have inquiries regarding a potential rotation with Ontario Shores, please contact us at @email and include the following information:
- what university are you with;
- do you have any specific interests with regards to clinical programs of focus;
- what timeframe you would be available; and
- your contact information.
Preparing for your core psychiatry rotation
To enhance your learning experience at Ontario Shores, please ensure to review the following:
- DSM 5 Diagnostic Criteria for the Major Psychiatric Illnesses, including Mood, Anxiety, Psychotic, Personality, and Substance Use Disorders, and the Neurocognitive Disorders.
- Diagnoses of ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), Conduct Disorder, and Eating Disorders.
- Common medications, including antipsychotics, anxiolytics, antidepressants and mood stabilizers.
- Psychotherapeutic interventions, including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, and Interpersonal Psychotherapy.
- Review and practice the Mental Status Examination, Mini-Mental State Exam (MMSE), Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA), and Consent and Capacity assessment.
Observership opportunities during your rotation