Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is now accepting referrals for Youth Forensic Assessments. These assessments include:
- Fitness Assessments
- Treatment Orders
- Not Criminally Responsible (NCR)
Children and youth will be served in the least restrictive and most developmentally appropriate milieu consistent with their clinical need, their safety and the safety of others.
Therefore, most court ordered forensic services for youth will be provided on an outpatient basis in a variety of milieu including courts, their homes, residential programs, day hospital environments, clinics or other appropriate milieu.
While the hospital is able to provide court ordered inpatient forensic services (beds) in an age appropriate milieu, inpatient hospitalization will only be utilized in cases where other settings are not appropriate and sufficient.
Youth Forensic Assessments will complement existing youth mental health and justice services and will not replace existing services. These services will be integrated with the existing services to add capacity and support the broader youth mental health and justice system.
The hospital has a dedicated coordinator available weekdays to liaise with justice system partners. The coordinator will:
- provide information about forensic services and how to access them
- provide information about the child and youth forensic program
- coordinate requests for forensic services for children and youth
- provide consultation and educational services to justice system partners, detention centre personnel, open and secure residential facilities, child and adolescent inpatient services and other involved service providers
For more information:
905.668.5881 ext. 6580 (local)
800.341.6323 ext. 6580 (toll free)