Your job as a volunteer is to be yourself and to share some of your time with others who need your understanding and compassion. It is important that you are willing to accept patients as equals as well as training and supervision from staff. Partnership with staff is an important part of being a volunteer.
What makes a great volunteer?
- Kindness and compassion and the ability to treat all individuals with respect and dignity
- An interest in working in and learning more about mental health facilities
- Good listening and communication skills
- Well-motivated, friendly and interested in people
- Reliable and punctual
- A commitment to the Mission and Values of Ontario Shores
- The ability to fulfill the time commitment of the volunteer role