Physiotherapy is a primary health care profession that promotes wellness, mobility and independent function by providing quality patient-centred treatment.
Physiotherapy supports individual wellness by:
- Promoting physical activity and overall health;
- Preventing disease, injury, and disability;
- Managing acute and chronic conditions, activity limitations, and participation restrictions;
- Improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance;
- Rehabilitating injury and the effects of disease or disability with therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions; and
- Educating and planning maintenance and support to prevent re-occurrence, re-injury or functional decline.
The Physiotherapy Department at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences provides services to inpatients and outpatients on referral from a physician or nurse practitioner. Our team consists of one part-time Physiotherapist and two part-time Rehabilitation Facilitators. Our individualized treatment programs are based on the patient’s diagnosis and encourage patient involvement in planning and goal-setting. Treatments may include a supervised exercise program, education and promotion of healthy living and physical well-being.