The Metabolic and Weight Management Clinic (MWM Clinic) at Ontario Shores is a patient-focused program with emphasis on long-term lifestyle changes and cardiovascular risk management. An interprofessional healthcare team provides individuals with mental illness with specialized care and helps them to manage their physical health issues, including obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. The MWM Clinic was developed specifically to maximize health and promote better overall health in people with mental illness.
- Current health assessment
- Baseline measurements to identify risk factors for disease
- Diagnosis, planning and referral
- Healthy lifestyle programming
- Chronic disease management including medication management
For ages 18 +
Patients of Ontario Shores and community patients utilizing other mental health services are eligible to attend the clinic.
18 years and older and must have a mental illness (does not need to be taking psychotropic medication) plus one of the following:
- Pre diabetes or type 2 diabetes with a HbA1c greater than or equal to 6.3%
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- BMI greater than or equal to 35
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Individuals with a current diagnosed eating disorder
- Patient is primarily concerned with applications for ODSP/Insurance/legal proceedings/CAS assessment
Referrals are accepted from healthcare professionals.
A complete referral includes:
- At least one metabolic indicator checked off
- Complete medication list
- If available, lipid profile, fasting glucose and HbA1C
- Mental Health Diagnosis (does not need to be taking psychotropic medication)